Supporting Apprenticeship Completions: Developing Best Practices for Increasing, Supporting and Retaining Apprentices in Northern Ontario
Lead: Literacy Northwest
Partners: Literacy Network Northeast, Mid North Network, QUILL Learning Network, Literacy Link South Central
Project Coordination: Kallio Consulting
Funders: Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (SDND Fund)
This project builds on findings and recommendations from the 2012/13 project "Supporting Apprenticeship Completions: Models of Service Provision (SAC: MSP)" which piloted referral and delivery models that specifically focused on action research to identify why so few apprentices actually participate in literacy programs, why credible tradespersons in Northern Ontario cannot pass the qualifying trade exam, and what might be done to help them overcome those challenges.
This project developed OALCF apprenticeship goal path tasks that were most closely aligned with those identified barriers.
It built capacity in the apprenticeship goal path by developing 36 tasks linked to the OALCF competencies 'find and use information' and 'understand and use numbers'. The Project focused on these two competencies because they most directly address the literacy barriers to apprenticeship completion.
The tasks were designed with specific reference to the competencies set out in trades Apprenticeship Training Standards and test items drawn from the practice exams. They were informed by input from employers and trades experts (i.e. journeypersons). They were leveled within the OALCF framework.
Capacity building within EO literacy and employment services is promoted by the:
1) development of authentic apprenticeship-specific tasks to make more current, relevant curriculum resources available
2) piloting of apprenticeship-specific LBS delivery to a wider Northern Ontario literacy network, and
3) providing professional development to Literacy Service Providers to promote the integration of apprenticeship goal path resources and services
Project activities included:
- Final project report
- Summary of Apprenticeship Stakeholder Survey Findings
- 36 tasks developed that align with the barriers to apprenticeship completion and the apprenticeship goal path
- 36 tasks posted to the Task-Based Activities for LBS Portal
- Literacy Link South Central's (LLSC) apprenticeship on-line/ face-to-face training modules included the 36 tasks
- Guide to Using OALCF Apprenticeship Tasks
For information about this project, please contact Literacy Northwest at email@example.com.
To view webinar recording, please email firstname.lastname@example.org